Home About Us / History Products Photos Misc Request Info Contact Us


About Us…

 

    Charles A. Richardson, Inc. was founded in Massachusetts in 1853 by Orville P. Richardson.  The primary products that were manufactured in those days were hardware specialty products that were used in the manufacture of machinery components for the textile trade.  In the early days the textile trade was very dominant in New England and the massive textile mills were often located along rivers to take advantage of that source of power.  Over the years the product lines at Charles A. Richardson, Inc. have evolved with the economy.  The textile hardware that we manufactured, primarily for use in the textile “shuttle” which carried the bobbin with thread or yarn, continued from 1853 until the early 1980s.  Over those years that industry had migrated from New England to more of the southern states.  In the 1980s new “shuttleless” looms were developed and that product was phased out.
  Early photo of Richardson Shop
    Another product line that was developed in the early 1900s were “baseball spikes or cleats”.  We rapidly became the primary manufacturer of baseball cleats in the country, manufacturing them in various shapes and sizes to satisfy the demand at the time.  We made both recreational grade cleats and also professional grade cleats.  We supplied the athletic shoe companies, such as Adidas, Hyde, Wilson and many others with our cleats.  We even would design cleats upon special requests from some of the professional athletes.  There was one instance when Ted Williams thought he had a great design improvement for a cleat.  We tried it and retired the tooling, needless to say he was a better ball player than a cleat designer.  During high demand years we manufactured enough cleats for approximately 1 million pair of shoes per year. Our slogan was “The Standard Wherever Baseball is Played”.  However, like the textile business, shoe manufacturing eventually moved overseas and as a result cleats were being supplied by overseas manufacturing firms.
Photo of Richardson shop.
 
    That brings us to the primary product that we have been manufacturing since the early 1960s.  These are welding flanges, which are hardware products with a female pipe thread that are designed to be welded to a tank to enable the end user to thread into the tank another component.  When we first started making them it was primarily for 275 gallon home heating oil tanks.  Since those days, we have broadened both the sizes and materials from which we manufacture these fittings to accommodate a diversified customer base.  Today we manufacture welding flanges in steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.  We thread in sizes from 1/8” pipe to 2” pipe depending on the alloy.  In addition to our standard line of flanges that is attached on this website, we can also manufacture stampings to your requirement, whether they be a variation on one of our existing products or something entirely different that you would like us to quote.   
 
    Today, Charles A. Richardson, Inc. continues to be a family (woman) owned and operated business with the fourth generation of descendants managing the business.  There have been a lot of changes over the years with our product line but one thing has remained constant and that is to manufacture a quality product that is competitively priced and delivered on time.

 Photo, aerial view of shop.


 


Established 1853










C.A.Richardson Inc.
330 Otis Street  P.O.Box 29  Mansfield, MA 02048
 
Phone 508-339-8600   Fax 508-339-4991   sales@carichardson.com